What is Freight Forwarding, and how does a freight forwarder work?
Exporting and Importing are the most vital components for many profitable businesses. Though International shipping presents huge opportunities for any kind of business, it is a daunting task for a company. Now, in this scenario, have you heard of the term “Freight Forwarder” Before? If not, then you might be a little confused about what it is? Is it a manager for distribution, a shipping company, or an importing and exporting partner?
Well, a freight forwarder takes care of the entire paperwork process maintaining all the rules and regulations that are involved in the International trade. This article covers everything from the definition of the freight forwarder, what are the operations of a freight forwarder, and how to find the best one in the international shipping business.
What is Freight forwarding?
Freight forwarding involves an organization that specializes in arranging the shipping and storage of the merchandise on shippers’ behalf. The firm offers a wide range of services like tracking of the inland transportation, preparation of the export and shipping documents, and booking of the cargo space. The top freight forwarder also negotiates the charges for the freight and takes care of the cargo insurance, freight consolidation, and insurance claim filings.
They usually ship under their own way of air waybills or lading and their associates or agents at the destination of the cargo supplies deconsolidation, document delivery, and collection of the freight services.
How does a Freight Forwarder Operate?
There is a lot of paperwork involved in arranging international shipping. The freight forwarder acts as an intermediary between different transportation services and a shipper. The shipping services are carried out by carrying on a cargo ship through the ocean, through the air by airplanes, trucks, or moving any goods by road or rail.
A freight forwarding service takes advantage of the established relationships with the air freighters, trucking companies, rail freighters, ocean liners, and carriers. They also negotiate for the best possible rates for moving the goods of the shipper forward through the route that will be most economical by comparing various bids. Ultimately the top freight forwarder selects the one which includes a perfect balance in cost, reliability, and speed.
Freight Forwarders take full responsibility for a considerable logistics of different shipping types of goods from one destination to another to reduce the formidable burden of the client. Many exporters also utilize the service of a freight forwarder to select them as their shipping agent for shipping requirements and export documentations.
The forwarder also assists and advises the client on how to move goods effectively and without a hitch from one place to another. Their years of extensive knowledge of rules and regulations, requirements of documentation, banking practices, and transportation costs ease up the exporting process for different companies.
Advantages of Using a Freight Forwarder
There are innumerable advantages of using the services of a freight forwarder. We have listed some of them in detail below.
- Handles ancillary services like custom documents, insurance and many more
- Acts as individual shippers as well as consolidators for bills of
- Lading bills
- International payment methods
- Documentation of non-vessel operation of common carrier
- Management and Assessment of the risks
- Insists on superb customer service and personal communication
How can you Find the Best Freight Forwarder?
Well, you are in luck as you have landed on the website of the top freight forwarder in India. For decades, Combined Logistics Solutions has ensured that the goods of their clients reach the destination where they were meant to be delivered, whether by land, sea, or air. Thus if you need any business shipping assistance, contact Combined Logistics Solutions to arrange a freight forwarding for you today!
- Published in Freight Forwarding
What Factors to Look for When Hiring an International Freight Forwarder
Selecting the best international freight forwarder is essential for any business that imports and exports cargo regularly. The success of any company is primarily dependent on the shipments arriving correctly on time, without getting damaged or lost or getting stuck in the customs. Your business will need to exceed or meet every customer expectation with each order while controlling the cost of the product or the services.
Thus in the selection process of logistic solutions, you need to go thoroughly through the requirements to define them to your logistics partner. Formally communicate to them concisely and clearly in the Request for Quote section. Now you might wonder what role does a top freight shipping forwarder be it air or sea, will play in the international transactions? Well, a reliable cargo shipment logistics company like Combined Logistics, will look after the following areas of responsibilities.
- Detailed itemized cost list
- Delivering the shipper with all the documentation requirement of the foreign destination
- Focuses on documents of the shipment and handling necessary legalization procedure and certification
- Insurance coverage of the entire cargo
- Warehousing facilities at international locations
- Helping with the freight cost and quotes for international shipping
- Booking space for the freight on ships, airlines, trucks and other transportation modes
- Preparing documents and other banking documents of the shipper
- Document distribution to different segments in the transaction
- Arrangement for Custom clearance at unknown locations
- Offering information on toxic materials
- Other customized services
Things to Remember While Selecting a Logistics Company
Below are some of the primary aspects that you need to consider before selecting an international logistics company.
- Services offered by the company globally
- Countries where they operate or offer their services
- Any foreign-owned facility is present or not
- Bonded warehousing facilities
- Packing services in international locations like pick and pack or JIT
- Administrative functions like invoicing
- Member of the Customs-Trade Partnership against Terrorism (C-TPAT)
- Experience with ATA carnets
- Temporary bonds for import
How should you select for the best Freight Forwarding Company?
The selection process of the best Freight Forwarding Company can be divided into the following steps.
- Decide the requirements and communicate directly in a concise manner with the organization. Clear this in your preliminary meetings to be away from any sort of confusion.
- Always research the logistics companies that interest you. Compile information on their insurance coverage, financial strength, the total number of offices in international locations, and many more.
- Prepare for the negotiations early. Think about the total cost; set a targeted date and time frame.
- Narrow down the choices based on the services, positive reviews of the past customers, and cost.
- Discuss the details and make the best deal with the finest company on your list.
Well, if you are still seeking for the best international cargo forwarder for your import and export business, then you are absolutely under the correct spotlight. Combined Logistics is a logistic solution provider with more than 12 years of experience in the field of transporting general, hazardous material, and food-grade products. With them, you will be sure that your products are in good hands and safely reach the destination!
- Published in Freight Forwarding